20 Lessons I Learned in First Year


First Year of university can be incredibly stressful. There are so many new experiences that shape you into the person you are becoming. I loved my first year of university and have memories that will last forever.

There are so many things I learned. It changed me as a person and feel so much more confident in my own skin. I have learned so much about myself, as well as the world around me, making friendships to last a lifetime. Here are 20 lessons I learned in my first year of university journey.
  1. It's okay not to know exactly what you want to do with your degree. The question "What do you want to do when you graduate?" comes up quite often from friends and family. It's alright not to have an answer! First year is all about having new experiences, exploring your interests and enjoying yourself. You still have lots of time to figure the rest out.
  2. Get involved! I stayed in a residence, so I met most of my friends through residence. However, it's important to get to know all sorts of people! Go to events, join a club, attend a conference... do something outside of your classes that interests you. It's a great way to get to know new people, have fun, and explore new interests. 
  3. Take advantage of your meal plan. I was lucky enough to live in a residence that had unlimited amounts of food available to me. Use this to it's fullest potential to avoid purchasing food or coffees elsewhere. It won't always be available to you!
  4. Take care of yourself. Eat your vegetables. Prioritize sleep. Take breaks for your mental health. Seek the help you need and make sure that you are prioritizing your health. In the long run, not taking care of your body will be a self-sabotage to your grades.
  5. Get a gym class pass. This is a great way to exercise while meeting new people or taking a study break with your friends. I did pilates, yoga, zumba, barre workouts and workout classes where I learned more exercises I can do at the gym. I was able to try all these exercises (and for MUCH cheaper than anywhere off campus). If you don't want to spend the money, then go to the gym. Most universities have free entrance to their gym facilities for students, so grab a friend and take advantage of this space!
  6. Take time to have fun. Sometimes it can feel like there is no time for anything but studying. But it's also so important for your mental health to take breaks and have some fun. Don't forget to go to that party on Friday night or go for coffee with a friend to get away from your studies for a little while.
  7. Get off campus. One regret I had was not leaving campus more often. After all, campus has almost everything you need available to you! But, you'll be living in your city for the next few years. So get to know the area and find out what is so unique about it. Fall in love with this new place by exploring!
  8. Build your community. If there were one thing that made my first year as exciting as it was, it would be community. Finding those people that will be there for you in all circumstances is so crucial. This will take time, but you will find your tribe. 
  9. Keep in touch. Make sure you take the time to call your mom and stay connected with family and friends. They are your biggest supporters!
  10. Friends change. This isn't high school anymore. There are some friends you will part ways with, and others who will keep in touch or grow even closer. You both change and this is perfectly normal. Just because they were there for one stage of your life, doesn't necessarily mean they will be present in the same capacity for the next stage. Friendships sometimes come and go, and that's okay. 
  11. Stay organized. I use calendars to write down every due-date and quiz in the syllabus. This ensures that I never miss a due date.
  12. Don't allow yourself to be overwhelmed. Looking at all the things you have to do can be stressful and I know I would often get overwhelmed by all that needed to be done. Just focus on one thing at a time. Do your best work on this one thing, and then move on to the next. 
  13. Take time to explore your interests. For my program, I was not able to take any electives in my first year. But if you can, go for it! Learn about something new, something that interests you outside of your major. Even though I did not have electives, my first year courses were in a variety of subjects. I took classes in the arts, sciences, and applied health sciences faculties. Even though mandatory, this variety helped me in finding the things that I am interested in and want to pursue in later years as well as what does not interest me at all.
  14. Plan Ahead! Although it is important to explore your interests, make sure you keep on top of what you have to do. Go through all the courses you have to take for your major and when they are offered. Look at upper level courses you might be interested in. Talk to your academic advisor. Look at possible specializations or minors available to you. Keep your options open, but also make sure you have a (tentative) plan for what you're interested in pursuing.
  15. Don't pack too much stuff along with you in residence. You do not need as much as you think you do.
  16. Decorate your room. However small, this is your home for eight months. Make it a positive space where you want to spend time but is also conducive to studying. For me, it was important to have photos, string lights and some plants to keep the space pleasant. Having cosy bedding was a godsend for everything from crashing after a long study session to having a movie night with friends. Also keeping your desk organized and clear of mess is important for effective studying.
  17. Get along with your roommate(s)! This is incredibly important to having a positive residence experience. I was lucky to have an amazing roommate that I got along really well with. I understand that not everyone gets so lucky, but even if you don't always get along, make sure you are friendly with them and respect their space. It's their home too.
  18. Explore campus. There are all sorts of great study spots. Find one that you can claim as yours. Whether that's in the library, a table in a small corner of the building or an empty lecture hall, find your space. It's also good to know about the resources your campus offers. I am constantly finding new, cool places to hangout, or available resources I didn't know existed!
  19. Build your résumé. I am lucky to be in a program that offers co-op opportunities. This will be handy, as relevant job experience once I graduate. Volunteering is so important, and can put you above others with the same level of experience. Get CPR certified. Join clubs. Be a student leader. Make sure you are always working on building your skills and experience wherever you can.
  20. Enjoy the ride. As cliché as it sounds, this may very-well be the best time of your life. It goes by quickly, so make sure you take the time to enjoy yourself. Go on adventures. Get caught up in the moment. Experience new things. Have a blast!
These are some of the most important lessons I learned in my first year of university. What are some lessons you learned or wish you knew before first year?

Comments

Popular Posts